I am not really a fan of reds, and as I’m writing the pictures I photograph-ed, I’m slowly discovering the shades that I like and that suit my warm skin tone. When I started beauty blogging, one of my first topics was differentiating warm vs.cool colors and let me me refresh you again in this new blog! Plus, you’ll get to know more about the red lipstick that I own (and the ones that will go to my makeup graveyard!)
It was really a long day of taking pictures of my lips and wearing all kinds of reds that I have in my kit. These are actually minimized already but I love that I’m getting to know them more (the ones that fit me, the ones that are dupes and can actually go to my sister/mother/friend, etc) by swatching them on my arms and lips, especially the latter. Take this as an example when you’re buying and testing lippies: make sure you wear them. This would help you save some lippie purchases! Let’s start with my cool reds:
They’re actually fewer than my warm red lippies so this is a good start. Now, cool colors are usually the blue shades and in terms of the red lippie, cool ones or blue-based mean they’re more pink and less orange. Even under warm light like sunlight (which is a good test of a pigment’s real color and undertone), the swatches on my arm don’t have any yellow hint in their shades.
Most of these shades will definitely now go as “pamana” to my friends and relatives because blue-based lippies just don’t work on me. If these work for you (you would know you’re cool toned when silver/platinum suits you, and when you have blue veins), nonetheless, these are fantastic shades with excellent pigmentation. However, I wouldn’t really wear these because they make me look “darker” and dull, except for the ff:
- MAC in Ruby Woo (matte lipstick) [PHP 1000] – MAC describes this as a “classic cool red” lippie that made the brand famous. On my skin tone, it’s quite neutral so I considered it on the warm swatches too as benchmark. This is the famous lippie of Yaya Dub, but when you’re considering buying this, make sure you wear and try it on because it looks good on some and but not to all. I’ve had this for years and while it’s a really fabulous shade – I’m always reminded of cool-toned Rihanna whenever I wear this – I can only wear and slay it whenever I mix it a bit with more orange colors (e.g. my favorite red-orange, Lady Danger as I reviewed here) or when the light is warm and bright (see how it is a bit warm and neutral on my arm and lips). This is more warm though than the famous Russian Red and the “Pure Ruby” which an affordable dupe from L’Oreal Paris.
- L’Oreal in Pure Garnet (matte lipstick) [PHP 400 ] – For its price, pigmentation and consistency, I like this set of collection from L’Oreal Paris. Pure Garnet is a very nice deep wine shade that is like MAC Diva. While they’re both drying to the lips, the latter is more matte but when you’re considering just color, this can be a perfect dupe to that nice wearable blue red color that also lasts for around 4-5 hours.
- MAC in Frank N’ Furter (LE matte lipstick) [PHP 1100] – This is actually the most warm or neutral in this set despite a slightly cool under tone, and I’m keeping this brick red shade (I changed my mind!!) because also, packaging! It’s more warm and less dark than Sin which I didn’t consider here because it’s more of a black red.
- Guerlain Rouge G in Gigolo (cream/satin lipstick) [PHP 2000+]* – Aside from the fantabulous packaging of this product line, I like this deep cool true wine shade from the recent launch of lippies two years ago. Nonetheless, the formula is too pigmented + it’s just so easy to transfer anywhere + quite drying too. But I’ll keep this for the shade.
Now, below are my shades of red! Some are very similar shades (I collected a few haha) and let me break it down for you:
Warm reds are definitely yellow or more orange especially under warm light. These definitely suit me and I’m keeping all, except for around 2:
In order of the most orangey and lightest:
- Inglot in 09 (satin/cream lip color) [PHP approx 700]* – Inglot lippies are quite drying to me, but I can’t deny the pigmentation, intensity, and consistency of the lip products.
- Laura Mercier Paint Wash in Vermillion Red (demi-matte liquid lipstick) [PHP 1260]* – This was recently launched last year, and I must say that this is one of the most luxurious formula in liquid lippy. Will discuss this in another post, but i love the strength, comfort and feel of this product.
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte in Heart (demi-matte lipstick) [PHP 1500] – This is one of my favorite demi-matte formulas as reviewed here.
- Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Harlow Red (demi-matte lip crayon) [PHP 1500]* – This is the latest release of Bobbi for lip color format and is just the perfect lip liner + pigmented lippie! It has 6 oils in it which makes it non drying and the consistency is also very nice. This color is described by Bobbi as a “true bright red”
- Happy Skin in Mistletoe Red (satin/cream lipstick) [PHP 995]* – I really like how versatile this shade is. Notice that under warm light, it’s too yellow and bright, but when under flash, it has a nice level of darkness/boldness. As always, Happy Skin’s formula is at the top of the charts.
- NARS in Mandore (satin lip crayon) [PHP approx 1200]* – This shade is a muted warm (kinda neutral) red that is glides smoothly on the lips. Creamy consistency and pigmentation are excellent, and doesn’t dry the lips too much. I love NARS’ formulas!
- MAC in Viva Glam I (matte lipstick) [PHP 1000] – One kind of brick/brown vintage red that I can wear whether day or night! Definitely a favorite and I’ve been stocking on this because a friend I just told about this said that it’s out of stock in some stores.
- Pink Sugar in Diva (matte lipstick) [PHP 349]* – The most affordable in this list that I really recommend to everyone with a great matte finish, consistency and feel (soft and silky). Staying power is Ok but I like how this brand competes for me in this list1 While this may be a great dupe for Diva (MAC) because of its name, i think I have found an affordable dupe for Viva Glam I!!!
- Inglot in 297 (satin lipstick) [approx PHP 700]* – As reviewed here.
So, quite a long list but I was very happy doing this1 Now, what warm or cool red shades do you own?
- *sent by friends from brands
- **lip swatches are blurred and photographed with flash (so they will appear less matte than arm swatches)