11 Kylie Lip Kit Dupes
I am fascinated by King Kylie’s glam, specifically with how clean, sexy and on point her makeup is, such that her own brand of liquid lipsticks and lip liners got sold out immediately after 30 seconds. But what really interests me is how she has found and marketed her own signature colors which i’ve been loving lately because they’re the kind of neutrals that suit my tone and lips well. So here’s a list of dupes availably locally (not at all about textures though) that I’ve studied. It took me a while to figure out Kylie’s colors, really! They’re tricky!!
I’ve read a lot of good reviews about Kylie’s lip kit, which comes with a lip liner and liquid lipstick – a format I’ve been loving. I love the comments about its formulation (they say it’s even better than its rumoured manufacturer, Colour Pop). But what I love most is the set of neutral colors and how they adapt to different lips as you can see in this viral Buzzfeed review featuring 3 women with different skin tones.
Candy K is described by Refinery as “a dusty rose; I’d describe it as a light ’90s brown”. My favorite is Dolce K which appears darker and more warm neutral brown or toffee than Candy K. Of course, True brown K is self explanatory and you can see how real the hue is and how it complements all skin tones.
I don’t have the $29 lip kit but I’ve pretty much spent a day or two just looking at swatches, reviews and blogs and comparing them with mine and what I have. I must admit that they’re pretty much unique such that even if I have 12 products here (mix of gifts and buys), I that I i’d have to still mix some to be able to arrive at the exact color.
In my opinion, King Kylie’s Candy K and Dolce K are quite the same, except that Candy is more rose than Dolce. As such, I’m going to compare both in the below swatchfest. Most of these are matte and liquid lipsticks that I love lately, exposed in a warm light.
In order of the dupe-st (is there such a word lol), see the reviews below:
Identified 6 Closest dupes to Candy K (neutral/dusty rose). This was much easier as there are lots of rose shades in the market, but still, the level of its “brownness”is hard to find.
- Sleek Matte Me in Birthday Suit (matte liquid lipstick)* [PHP 450 ] – I think this will be the closest to that beautiful adapting neutral rose color, and to the finish and feel as well, based on the reviews. The color is almost exact and unlike the others, it has this faded rose color which prolly explains the “dusty” description of the product’s color. Also, there’s this instant volumizing/plumping effect due to the not-so-drying and pigmented formula and great brush. Plus, probably the cheapest in this line up. I highly recommend this product and spot this on your next department store visit as these run out quick!
- Inglot in 405 (matte lipstick) [PHP ] [PHP 800 approx]- Next would be this shade, but this appear darker and a bit more orange under warm light. It’s finish is matte, but not like the liquid lipstick formula. I’ve almost finished this tube because I love its color despite its quite drying formula.
- LA Splash in Ginny (matte liquid/mousse lipstick) [PHP 600]* – I just bought different LA Splash liquid lippies last year but I also received some from DTC online like this one. I will not discuss this new brand formula yet, but this color is also a close match, with nice pigmentation and consistency.
- LA Splash in Belle (matte liquid lipstick) [PHP 600] – I bought this one abroad, and while the finish is different (very Nars Orgasm!), the rose brown color is evident.
- MAC in Kinda Sexy (matte lipstick) [PHP 1000]* – This famous MAC shade looks more peach under warm bright light, but under flash at night, it looks more pink on me. I heard Whirl is a better dupe for Kylie’s line
Dolce K (toffee brown/neutral shade) is a bit harder. Most neutral brown shades have an orange under tone but these are closest that I have found. Regardless as dupes, I like these colors very much especially for my warm skin tones.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER in MAT 3 [approx PHP 1500]* – This Rouge Artist Intense line is almost always sold out too (a fav of Maggie Wilson!), because it has this nice neutral shade that fits any kind of tone. It’s a bit warmer than Dolce K, but I can see some hints of the kind of brown present in Kylie’s. The product is a bit drying and less matte than others but the color is just nice!
- SPARK in Naked Desire [PHP 800] – purchased this baby at Passionfly Bazaar last year. This line is owned by actress Karel Marquez, who perfected this shade of orange-brown. It’s quite hard to transfer at first (product is quite hard so balms are needed) but it’s all worth it in terms of consistency and pigmentation, with little drying of lips.
- MAC in Spice (Lip Pencil) [PHP 1100] – I bought this pencil last year and figured it doesn’t have a lipstick counterpart, but its fits all of the shades below (and above rose colors as well) when outlining and contouring my lip, with a shade that’s very Dolce
Lastly, of course, True Brown K is much easier to match. I found these shades earlier than the Lip Kit launch LOL and they suit me very well! More details on my dark lippie blog post soon but below are previews.
So there it is! 11 possible dupes of the Lip Kit Kylie brand that I recommend!! Best awards go to Sleek, and the True Brown K dupes (MAC and LA Splash) because they resemble the colors very well. Do you know of any more lipsticks that mimick these colors? Let me know!
*Products which astericks are given as gifts by brands