Different Liquid Lippies Below P1000
By definition, liquid lipsticks are more concentrated versions of the normal tube of pigment we’ve known to wear. The past years, we’ve been introduced to a couple of products (globally and now aggressively in the local industry) in this format that promises the most matte, no-fuss, no-transfer kinds but for me, liquid lippies are still defined by their level of pigmentation – whether matte or demi-matte, whether liquid, tints, creams… Most of them are priced higher than the usual because of the pigment present, but in this review, I will be sharing a list that’s below PHP 1000, with different finishes, textures and qualities you can choose from!
Last year, these lippie launches kind of piled up in my kit and I just got the time – thank God!! – to really study them. I have lots of colors but I wanna use the same hues (pink and nudes), so we can focus on the other qualities of the following brands: Ofra, Pink Sugar, Sleek, LA Splash, Happy Skin, Etude House and Khroma.
Let’s start with the applicator wands! Aside from the formula which I’ll discuss below, in this kind of lippie, the applicator has some say on the consistency and ease of use of the product. You can evaluate these easily based on the lip swatches below (not the arm swatch because we don’t apply on a flat surface!). So Sleek wins here with a squared tip that shaped and volumized my lips so much (no lip liner used there). However, I don’t like too long and slim ones because especially with quick-drying lippies, it’s so hard to control, perfect quickly and transfer the content (you’ll send up building so much). The pear-shaped ones though: they get so much of the product and deliver in excess especially on the lip line and I can’t really shape my small lips . In this case, notice how Pink Sugar, Ofra and LA Splash have thick, compact and flexible tips.
So let’s get to the pigmentation, consistency, colors, and prices (including long-wearing aspects – proofs of which you’ll see at the end) using only the nude and pink colors from the brands.
- Pink Sugar Lip & Cheek Tint (matte liquid lippie) [PHP 350]* – This is best product line under the local brand since they launched last year. The formula of this product is soooo luxurious: light-weight yet super pigmented and consistent, extra-matte (powder finish and truly opaque!), and doesn’t dry and cake the lips! I’ved tried wearing it for 3 consecutive days, and no drying at all which is unbelievable for this kind of matte – thanks to coconut oil, aloe vera, and vitamins A, C, and E. Texture is like cream-powder so it takes around 2-3 swipes to perfect it but achievable, and is build-able too despite its matte finish. Definitely winning at these aspects, I just wish they could release nude colors as most of the pinks and brights I swatched here appear kind of neon and too intense. My favorites are the unique and wearable purple’s: Purple Pleasure and Pink Paradise! And can i say – the most affordable in this list!! Lasts also for a long time, but quite difficult to remove (use oil-based remover to get rid of stain). Available at BeautyMNL.
- Sleek Matte Me Liquid Lipsticks (matte liquid lippie) [PHP 450]* – The ultra-smooth and soft lippie in 6 shades! Look at how volumized, defined, soft yet pigmented my lip swatch is. With varied colors, this is my everyday liquid lippy indeed especially with its price! I like the ultra-smooth and extra-light feel and texture despite the pigmentation. My sample is a Kylie Lip Kit (muted rose brown) color and it still showed my natural lips despite the 2 coats. I also like how this can be built even when it’s dry!! Staying power is good for 4-5 hours and it doesn’t stain the lips which can be cleansed easily. Available at Zalora.
- Ofra Long Lasting Liquid Liptick (matte liquid lippie) [PHP 950] – Quite borderline the P1000 limit but this product is winning in color choices and its unique creamy (yet non-sticky) matte formula. The consistency and feel (soft) are very recommendable too, and it doesn’t dry easily so you can build depending on how thick you want it to be. Available at GlamourBox.
- KhromaBeauty Joystick Lip Lacquer (semi-matte lacquer)[PHP 630]*- While packaged as stick, I consider this a liquid lippie because of how soft the content is. This is a brand by Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashan and as with all the K lippies, they boast of consistency, pigmentation and feel. There are just a few colors but I bet that the good formulas and signature colors are the reasons people are buying these. Can attest to those! Available at TravelMerchant16.
- Etude House Color in Liquid Lips (creamy liquid lippie) [PHP 500]* – I super like how this liquid lippy is so natural-looking for a cushiony-water sliding texture! Korean brand definitely focuses on the texture and feel of the product – like a lip gloss- but not sticky and drying despite the level of pigment (Thanks to sweet almond oil and sunflower seed oil). Quite lacking in consistency and staying power, but if you like a sheer, hydrated-looking plumping effect too, go for this!
- Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me Lip & Cheek Tint/Power Pout (creamy liquid lippie) [PHP 699]* – This is the winner in the cream liquid lippie formula, as with the famous pen lippies of the brand. The formula is so rich but it doesn’t feel too thick and doesn’t dry the lips. Consistency is at the top of the charts, with colors so wearable and enduring enough, for the Filipina tones. It’s just so easy to glide and perfect the application with the kind of formula it has, but I would wish for a better applicator so I don’t have to use a liner. But two thumbs up as always! Available at Happy Skin Online Store.
- LA Splash Lip Couture, Lip Smitten Mousse, Studio Shine, Velvet Matte Liquid Lipsticks (matte liquid lippies)[PHP 600] – This brand kind of created different lines under their liquid lippyy category which because so famous with bold and couture colors. I will discuss in detail in the next post, but my favorites in terms of formula and finish are the Lip Smitten Mousse and Studion Shine as they’re better in consistency and feel than the others. Generally, the best in pigmentation, variety and uniqueness of colors, but the downside is that these lippies require enough time to practice how you will apply (as they dry quickly on the lips) and maintain (feel is quite thick and finish is tricky as some feather when too thick or retouched). Not really recommendable for every day use but staying power is very good if not ruined by oily, and it can only be removed completely by oil-based makeup remover. No drying effect as it tints the lips superficially which is impressive. Available at DTC Online.
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (sheer matte liquid lippie) [PHP200-300] – This is actually my first liquid lippy that I reviewed in the past blog, and while I haven’t tried the other bolder colors, this is definitely the choice for a sheer matte finish. While consistency, staying power and pigmentation are not so perfect, go for this for the finish!
In terms of durability and staining, refer to the above visual where I tried to scratch/remove the pigments using just my fingers and a non-oil based makeup wipe (lower). I also tried if these stained and stayed even after some makeup removers and the results are below. Completely, these are erased when you us oil-based removers.
So many choices for finish, texture and colros indeed for liquid lipsticks below P1000. What are your bets?
*Products with astericks are given as samples by brands